Sunday, January 8, 2012

Trying to Clean and Repair "New" Old House

Over Christmas my husband and I moved into my childhood home.  I have done this with mixed emotions.  The original parts of this house are over 100 years old.  My dad remodeled it in the 70's.  I lived with my dad in it from about age 12 until I got married (at 17...how stupid was that??).  Anyway, my first husband and I lived in another family home for the first year of our marriage...then we swapped with my dad and lived in my childhood home until 1994 when we built a new house.  My two daughters were "born" and raised in this house until they were 12 and 9 years old.

Several other families have lived in the old house over the years.  It carries a few scars and a whole lot of dirt.  I have been cleaning and we have been doing a bit of remodeling/updating.  My dad wants it to remain like he first remodeled...and that is ok.  I am adding a bit of updated paint colors and trying to decide about painting over off white paneling that is throughout the kitchen and den. 

A lot of memories here.  Good and Bad.  At 49, it is hard to look back and not see regrets....woulda, shoulda, coulda...but I am trying to look to the future and see the possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment